Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Welcome and FAQ

Welcome to all! There are a lot of new folks looking at the site, so I figured it was time to take a few minutes and answer some of the questions I’ve gotten lately.

Q. What’s wrong with you?
A. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It is a common and very treatable form of cancer. There’s a lot of information about it on the web. Here’s one site: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/hodgkin


Q. How did you find out?

A. When I was in Key West in December, I found a little lump by my collarbone. After almost three months of all variety of inconclusive diagnostic tests, a biopsy was done on one of the lumps in my neck. I got final confirmation of the diagnosis in late March, when I was up at school in Rhode Island.


Q. Why are you going to the Bay Area?

A. My command was incredibly supportive of encouraging me to select a place for treatment based on proximity to family & friends, and high quality of care. Those were my top criteria in requesting the Bay Area, and luckily the detailer agreed to send me there.


Q. What is the best way to reach you?

A. Until I find and move into a new place in the Bay Area, mail can be sent to my Mobile, AL, address. I still have the same cell phone number I’ve had for the past few years. I don’t really want to post either on this site, but if you email me at indyhealth(at)hotmail.com, I’d be glad to pass along my “snail mail” and/or cell phone numbers. I might not be checking my work email much, so that’s not the best way to get a fast reply. Of course, you are very welcome to post messages here on this site. I try to reply to messages posted here.


Q. Why didn’t you tell me?!

A. I deeply apologize if I hadn’t told you yet and you found out through a third party. I hate writing mass emails and I was trying to let people know one by one, but I just haven’t gotten to everyone yet. Or, maybe I didn’t have your contact information – or I could have forgotten entirely. Again, I’m really sorry you had to find out some other way.


Q. Can I share this website?
A. Absolutely! Please do. It is the best way for folks to find out the latest news. I’m trying not to post too much identifying information about anything (last names, unit names, specific contact info, etc.) so there should be no problem with anybody looking at it.


Q. Why the blog?

A. I figured this was the best way to keep everyone informed. I really do abhor mass emails. It gives everyone the chance to post and interact if they like. (Feel free to scroll down to previous posts and read/leave comments there also...) And, it forces me to keep the situation in perspective.


Q. Can I do anything for you to help out?

A. Do you know anyone in the Mobile area who wants to rent a house?! ☺ If so...I've got a great place I'm trying to rent out. Other than that, I can’t really think of anything right now, but if I do I will let you know!


Q. How long will this take? How bad is it? What sort of treatment will you be getting? What will your schedule look like?

A. I don’t know yet – once I get staged, I’ll have more details, which I'll post here. I seem to be fairly asymptomatic right now. If everything goes smoothly, I can hopefully get back out to the fleet in another year or two...and pick up that dream-job OPS ride I was slated for.


Again: thank you so much for your concern, and welcome.

2 comments:

Veritas said...

Here's a comment from John, a fantastic Auxiliarist whom I have the honor to work for:

You are a real Treasure... a Jewel... a true Light shining within... I know what it is like to chomp at the bit to get back to sea... I did it for over 21 years and resulted in over half of my career was at sea. I loved it, too... Perhaps my web site might offer you some inspiration sometimes:


http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerbmox/treasurehousesbyjohn/

Veritas said...

And here is a prayer that Marc, my pastor up in Oregon, sent me:

Father in Heaven, I pray for Heather and this situation. I ask that You will be a bastion of peace for her as she goes through a very difficult valley. Keep her eyes locked on You, and turn this into an opportunity for profound growth of heart and character. I also pray for her physical healing. Guide the process so that nothing is missed and everything that doesn't belong in her body is eradicated. Let her sense Your closeness. In Jesus' name, Amen.