Thursday, April 17, 2008

Right back where I started from


…in a manner of speaking, that is. True, I’m a Southern California girl, but today that’s just a technicality.

Today, on the long flight from Charlotte to San Francisco, I drafted a list of the things I’ll miss about Mobile:

1. My friends & colleagues
2. My job aboard ship
3. My house & my hot tub
4. Bluegrass jam sessions
5. JazzFest (in New Orleans)

It’s a short list.

While my California “valley girl” speech patterns have returned with a sudden vengeance, freed suddenly of the lazy vowels and y’alls I absorbed down south, I discovered today at the airport that I’ve adopted certain elements of Southern custom. Or military manners. I wait patiently, out of the crowd, for luggage and shuttles and older ladies shuffling with canes. I offer assistance to the elderly man and the woman with a baby slung on her chest. I address those senior to me as “sir” and “ma’am” – even though they’re civilians. And I am more content than I thought I could be with unscheduled time, with letting things happen as they may, with opening myself to unexpected possibilities and pleasures.

Or maybe I’ve just grown soft.

2 comments:

viola vocce said...

One of my favorite things about living in different regions of the country is picking up the positive aspects of each subculture. It sounds like that's been your experience. :)

I look forward to hearing valley girl you - it's been awhile!

Veritas said...

Even if sometimes I feel like The Man Without a Country...or Without a State or Hometown