Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One prolonged blast

After some last-minute alibis, underway at last. It seemed like forever until we cast off that last line and waved goodbye to the families, co-workers, and other assorted well-wishers clustered, cameras raised, on the pier. I wanted to cheer as the ship's whistle boomed out, but was advised, delicately, against it.

I'm not good at drawn-out farewells and it seemed so odd to have days and days to wrap up my last loose ends at home. The hours seemed endless, even as the remaining tasks and chores kept me out late and up early. One last night on the town, a round at the tiki bar, even a couple beers on the back porch of my apartment - yeah, it all sounded good, but in the end I couldn't quite muster yet more adieux; and anyway, I was busy. Special Sea Detail couldn't come early enough.

Before I left, I guinea pigged for a co-worker's career counseling grad school project, where the subjects (including me) took a series of personality and work interest assessments, culminating, as advertised, in recommended paths for higher education and career fields. I'm always leery of these sorts of inventories, not least because rarely do I come out strongly in favor of one "type" or another; and because often, I'm a radically different person in different situations. For example, in my private life I'm a confirmed introvert, but in most work environments my heart's emblazoned on my sleeve. Which creates strange eddies when the two mix - at a port call, or a promotion ceremony. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to leave it at my abhorrence of categorization and strenuous acts to defy pigeonholing or stereotyping.

Still, I've always been curious what career paths were "meant" for me, because my job history has been so spotty, my career destiny so indirect. Since when does an Oxford graduate scoop ice cream and join the military? So I took the test, and in its haughty wisdom, the test told me my top ten career choices were Computer & IS Manager (blech), Biologist (maybe in biotech or microbiology), Architect, Attorney (red tape!!!), University Professor, Chemist, Physician, Forester (park ranger?), Geologist, and Military Officer (aha...). I admonished the grad student who delivered my results that the test failed to take into account the kinetic nature of my learning and working. Most of these white-collar jobs would drive me absolutely nuts, because I couldn't be up and about, away from a desk and computer, facing down the mercurial elements of nature and people and circumstance, every day newly challenged both physically and mentally, defying what and who I was raised to be...

Where on the list was "ship captain"? I teased the researcher. First mate? Salty sailor of the deeps? I know I belong underway, I thought to the uneven lilting of the seas.

No comments: