Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hey, Mr. Postman

Here's how to reach me while I'm underway the next several months:

(my name)
USCGC BOUTWELL (WHEC-719)
FPO AP 96661-3902

All parts of this address are important. Without my name, it probably won't get delivered. The basic 5-digit ZIP code will get it to our group, but it is the "plus 4" and the ship name that get it to BOUTWELL. "FPO" stands for Fleet Post Office and "AP" for Armed Forces Pacific.

Packages can't exceed 70 lbs or 130 inches combined length and girth (drat, no new flat-screen). The US Postal Service must be used - i.e., not UPS, FedEx, etc. And, any package over 16 ounces must have a customs form 2976 or 2976-A attached. Under the heading "Description of Contents", write “Certified to be a bona fide gift, personal effects, or items for personal use of military personnel”. Priority Mail is recommended for packages. Alcoholic beverages, hazardous materials, and weapons can't be shipped.

I should still be able to post to and read this blog, although our connectivity will be severely limited underway. Using an internet cafe at port calls like Hawaii is great, but who trusts the internet at port calls after that? I'll be suspending service on my cell phone until I get back, so don't bother calling. I won't be able to access my standard Coast Guard email address, although I'll have a different one aboard ship, and that will probably be the best way to reach me. Just take my normal CG email, and add the number 2 in between the end of my last name and the "@uscg.mil", i.e. (myname)2@uscg.mil. Facebook and web-based email like Hotmail are restricted websites aboard ship, so you won't see me there either. Bottom line: snail mail or CG email. If you're sending email to my CG address, be aware that due to severely restricted connectivity (think 28k modem), any large emails or attachments will get rejected. If you want to send me a document, try cutting and pasting into the text of the email. Pictures take up too much room and won't go through regardless.

So that's all the do's and don'ts. I really hope to hear from you! Profundity, profuseness, and/or creativity are no requirements - just remind me that life exists outside our steel bulkheads. Mail call is the highlight of any patrol.

No comments: