Monday, September 8, 2008

Checking it twice

The AY09 LT shopping list is on the streets.

(To translate: the list of available jobs for lieutenants up for transfer this coming summer has now been published.)

It's a bit sparse. Last year's list was replete with OPS jobs, particularly 378' OPS jobs (the job I want most; the job I so surprisingly received orders for but had to give up once diagnosed). It really does reasonably follow, then, since they're all two-year billets, that this year's list would be rather truncated.

This coming year, there are are only two 378' OPS jobs open- one ship in Hawaii and one right across the pier here in the Bay Area. Those will of course go #1 and #2 on my list; the question is what comes next.

There are several choices. There are a few 270' OPS jobs, a number of 225' XO jobs, and Weapons Officer for one of the new 418's. There's even XO on a Great Lakes icebreaking tug. Many of these jobs are in locations I'd like, or at least places I'd be interested in checking off my "lived there, done that" list. Each holds its particular appeal, both personally and professionally.

So I know what's on my list - this time I'm not going to list any land jobs, not even as "backups" - but not yet in what order I'll request them. What's best for my career long-term (wide variety of afloat experiences - variety of location, mission, platform/ship type, responsibilities, etc.) and short-term (setting me up for command afloat)?

There's also the detailer (=assignment officer) game to play. Not listing enough jobs gives detailers carte blanche to assign you at will to any available job where they need your skills and experience. Listing a great many jobs definitely increases the chances that you'll be assigned to a "chosen job" over another open position - but on the flip side, listing too many jobs can convey waffly career intentions. As the detailers say, "Put it in your comments!" - but how decisive can I sound without being pushy or demanding? And you never quite know how detailers will react - does already possessing a ship's qualification mean you're more likely to get assigned to that type of ship (to put your expertise to use), or conversely, that you'd be better served on a different platform (to broaden your experience)?

I definitely have some thinking and listening to do. What this list does emphasize is that earning a 378' qualification this fall, after the "e-resumes" (=list of desired jobs) are submitted but before assignments are made, is key. Hence my TAD (temporary duty) afloat plans for the next 8 months...which are, at present, percolating promisingly in the "command discussion" phase.

4 comments:

Carol said...

Hey V,

You're done! congratulations!!

It must be exciting to look at all the possible assignments and think about all those different locations. Will you be able to tell us where you end up, or is that classified?

Veritas said...

Hmm...let's see where I end up first!

Robert Jennifer said...

This posting is marvelous and what a fantastic research that you have done. It has helped me a lot. thank you very much.prepaid cards

Sophie Grace said...

Wonderful post. I am searching awesome news and idea. What I have found from your site, it is actually highly content. You have spent long time for this post. It's a very useful and interesting site. PLease check link piknu to find more information