Monday, August 18, 2008

An Epic Journey


The Epic Journey approacheth.

Shortly after I finish radiation, I fly to Alabama to see some friends, pick up my car, and begin the long trek back West.

In my race to get out here for treatment in April, I (intentionally) left my car and just about everything else behind in Alabama. Driving a couple thousand miles across country in a mad rush wasn't so attractive. My stuff - that which I didn't rent out with my house or box up in long-term storage - rejoined me, for the most part, in early June, once I had an apartment here. But my car remains down South. I won't use her much, here, but the mobility will be nice. And besides, I miss her.

So in early September, I'm taking some time off work and setting out on a road trip for the ages, stopping to visit friends, places I like, and (mostly) places I've always wanted to see, viz.:

Mobile, AL
New Orleans, LA
Baton Rouge, LA
Shreveport, LA
Port Arthur, TX
Houston, TX
Austin, TX
San Antonio, TX
Roswell, NM
Albuquerque, NM
Canyon de Chelly, AZ
Mesa Verde/Durango, CO
Salt Lake City, UT
Lake Tahoe, NV
Yosemite, CA
San Francisco, CA

Altogether, about 3500 miles and 11 or 12 days. Most days, around 7 hours of driving, with plenty of time for sight-seeing both in and out of the car. I'm aiming to stop at the kitschiest motels along the way, pick up some unique and unusual souvenirs, and in general, indulge my Bad Girl of the Open Road.

If you live along the route, I'd love to stop by and say hi; just let me know. If you have recommendations to enhance this Classic and Epic Road Trip, I'm open to those too.

The fun kicks off shortly.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Sounds like an awesome trip, V. I've always wanted to do a trip like that. Someday.....

The best part of your post is that in just a few short weeks you'll be done with your treatments!

Yipee!!!!

I'm on the east coast, but if you're ever in this neck of the woods, there's a pretty comfortable futon with your name on it.

Carol said...

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, it is definitely worth the trip. It's not too far off your route.

We went this past spring, and words and photos can't possibly to it justice. It is truly amazing and vast.

Veritas said...

Yeah, what a great place...I've been several times...hiked, camped, hiked rim-to-rim, rafted the length, etc.

Someday I'll retire in Flagstaff and be a river guide on the Colorado!

Carol said...

Wow - you've seen much more of it than I have. We hope to hike down to Phantom Ranch at some point - that looks/sounds great. And rafting would be a blast as well.

We were only there for a day and a half, so not much time to really "do" anything other than see the south rim. We hiked part way down the Bright Angel Trail, and saw lots of condors!

Once you get to be the guide, I'll come out there and go on your raft!

S said...

Sounds like a great trip, V. I don't have any suggestions on it though. I'm so glad that you're able to focus on this again and that your treatments are coming to an end. Wow! It's been an incredible journey you've been on, but the one across the US will be much more pleasant for you--I hope!

S