Sunday, August 3, 2008

Details, part 2

I'd heard the new afloat detailer was due to arrive in mid-July, so after an incredibly impatient waiting game, I dropped him an email at the precise mid-point of that seventh month.

I introduced myself, I explained my situation with what I hoped was just enough but not too much detail, I did a little requisite groveling, and I rather awkwardly tossed in the recommendation from the Ops Ashore detailer to "call me if you've got any questions". At last I unearthed my real questions, which I managed to predicate yet further on a matter of relatively current concern: my "medical support billet" was due to expire in October. While the "active phase" of my treatment - the chemo & radiation - would conclude in early September, and I would enter the 2-3 month "PET/CT scan checkup" phase after that, my UCSF doctors wanted to continue to see me for those scans at least until summer '09, for continuity of care. Then - and I'd checked with them - I could safely transfer elsewhere, and take up residence on a ship for periods of time, as long as I continued follow-up scans with some reputable doctor, somewhere, on a regular 3-6 month basis. (I'm sure it's not a typical response when the cancer doctor, upon dispensing details of your cancer treatment and asking if you have any questions, receives first: "How soon can I transfer to Hawaii and be stationed aboard a ship for months at a time?")

This put me, as I found out later, in an assignment Catch-22. Although orders aren't cut until spring, and actual rotations typically don't occur until the summer months, the "assignment season" technically starts with the submission of e-resumes in the previous fall. My criteria for afloat orders is being medically cleared for worldwide assignment. And to meet the assignment year '09 timeline, I'd need that clearance by this fall, 2008. But...if I were cleared medically by fall 2008, then there would be no grounds for extending my medical support billet through the summer.

Catch-22 indeed.

There were other considerations, as well, other questions. Getting underway for a few weeks at a time on other, locally homeported, ships this winter, to get experience and qualifications. Attending schools that are pre-requisites for the Ops job I want. The chances of picking up an Ops job - and just maybe, picking up an Ops job on the other white-hull ship in Hawaii (there are two, and the rotations are offset by a year).

I was nervous. These were a lot of favors to ask of a detailer who knew me not at all, and was new to his job to boot.

But - the detailer was incredibly helpful, incredibly friendly, and incredibly eager to get me back out into the fleet. He confirmed that as soon as I was done with radiation, with my command's support and as long as my doctors didn't object, I could get underway with local ships to gain experience and qualifications. He said that as long as I had finished the "active" phase of my treatment (i.e., chemo & radiation) by the time the fall assignment season started (October), I would be eligible for reassignment this summer. He hinted that I'd have a very good chance of picking up orders for an Ops job again, and when I mentioned my top picks, he encouraged me to list those choices on my e-resume (Coast Guard's method for people to list their assignment requests and reasons). He was very excited that my initial post-chemo scan was negative. He extended my medical support billet through April '09. And his parting words were, "I've done my part in extending your billet; now you do your part and GET BETTER so I can get you back out into the fleet!"

I guess I needn't have worried quite as much after all.

1 comment:

S said...

Awwww, V...this one made me cry!!!!

I'm really happy for you that you have supportive people helping you line things up.

His part...appears to be done, as you said.

And you're close to closing the things on your part.

Keep up the good work.