Sunday, May 4, 2008

Limbo

Have I mentioned how impatient I am? Yes, here I am again, waiting.

I signed a lease on my new apartment, but without furniture or possessions, I haven't moved in. I didn't know what furniture I'd need, and didn't want to be lugging it around, so my furniture was either rented out with my house in Alabama, or put in long-term storage when I still thought I was going to Hawaii. I've bought a bed and will be looking at some other (used) furniture this week, but it's expensive to furnish an entire apartment all at once - even a relatively small and shared one.

My other household goods are en route, hopefully to arrive sometime this week. Until then, and particularly after having lived like a transient in Alabama for a couple of weeks in between leaving school in Rhode Island and getting orders out here (since I didn't know from day to day how long I'd be staying in Alabama, since I needed to be ready to go at moment's notice, and since I needed to keep my house ready to rent out immediately upon my departure, I slept on the floor in a sleeping bag in an empty house for two weeks, with not much more in the refrigerator than a couple beers and some condiments) - until then, I'm waiting. I have little desire to resume a life of semi-privation while I await my stuff...nor am I eager to purchase new sheets, towels, kitchen utensils, and other accoutrements of domesticated life, when I know that all of that will be arriving post-haste. I hope.

Until then, I've lingered in my airport hotel. The bed is comfortable, the towels fresh, the location not too inconvenient; and if I manage it correctly, the free breakfast lasts me most of the day. Not that it's cheap; but for the time being, the scales are tipped slightly in favor of its worth.

Most of all, I hate waiting because I want to get treated and move on. It's particularly unnerving to observe the hungry pace at which the cancer appears to be spreading, while I wait. Less than five months ago, I noticed the first lump. Now there are several, in at least two locations on my body (meaning Stage II, at a minimum). I still have few symptoms, but that's hardly reassuring. My bone marrow scan is set for May 16, with the other staging appointments still to be scheduled. So the earliest I could see the doctor for a treatment plan would be a week past that, and the earliest start for treatment would be yet another week - almost into June, then.

Did I mention I'm impatient?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, the guy that is going to RUSH in your place is crazy ... ask Krystyn Pecora for details about our simulator exercise today.

Veritas said...

LOL I will...

Carol said...

The waiting is the hardest part - Tom Petty

I second that.

Hang in there, V. Hopefully your work will keep your mind somewhat occupied until you get started with your treatments. And by the way - Adivan (Lorazipam) is a miracle drug. If they haven't given it to you yet, ask for it.

S said...

I hate that 'hurry up and wait' thing.

Keep working. And keep moving forward. (Like you originally said.)

I just don't understand how/why they have you waiting so long once the original diagnosis is done.

But I guess that's just me--a mom. I don't like to wait for help for people I care about!