Wednesday, October 15, 2008

FFFD

Fit For Full Duty. Available for Worldwide Assignment.

Such were the words on my latest chit from medical. I’m cleared.

That’s cleared, not cured. But I’ll take it. After all, curing isn’t in my future: remission, if I’m lucky.

I’ve been busy checking items off my list for getting underway. Rules of the Road re-test...aced it. Official passport application, done. Upgrade to my clearance package, submitted. I'm scheduled to get underway for a couple weeks in early November with a 378' and possibly do some buoy tender time over the holidays...then gearing up for spring 378' time as well.

My doctors at UCSF are happy with my progress also. When the Coast Guard doc asked how I was feeling, any long-term side effects, he asked me what the most activity was that I'd done recently. "Well, I hiked El Capitan in a day," I replied. "Ah," he said. "You're all better then."

Today I fly to South Africa by way of Singapore. I am tremendously excited to go, and to hopefully track down a whole branch of my father's family. I may be off the grid for a couple weeks...so don't worry if I'm not posting frequently.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

5 comments:

Marc said...

Congratulations! I know you must be just excited out of your mind. I think having to sit still has really been the toughest part of this for you. Have a blast!

Carol said...

Have a GREAT time - and don't forget to vote before you go!!!

Yeah, like you could possible forget that. :0)

Veggie Kathy said...

Heather, I lost your blog Web site when I fried my laptop. A friend of yours sent it to me today. I am so happy to hear the good news. If you are ever back in Norfolk, be sure to look up the "Relay" team. We can always hook you up with the best time spot--4 to 6 am. Take care, Kathy

Veritas said...

Thanks Carol - already voted (all of OR is vote-by-mail). :)

Everyone here in SA is VERY interested in the election.

Doug said...

Why isn't "cured" in your future? My wife is "cured" from cancer - not remission - it is totally GONE. No treatment. It just vanished. Don't give up hope for complete victory over this thing. Don't accept it.